Zucchini Lasagna (That’s Not Watery)!
Original recipe: Lisa Bryan, downshiftology.com
This super moist paleo chocolate zucchini bread recipe is made with almond flour, tapioca flour coconut flour, and cacao powder. It’s gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and extremely rich!
- 4 large zucchini
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 24 ounces pasta sauce
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan Reggiano
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- small handful of fresh parsley and basil chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin slices, as thin or thick as you’d like. Set aside.
- Add the ground beef to a large pan over medium-high heat. Finely break down the ground beef with a spatula and pan fry it until browned and no longer pink.
- Pour the pasta sauce on top of the ground beef (remember to reserve 1/2 cup) and stir together, then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, make the ricotta mix by stirring together the ricotta cheese, parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce onto the bottom of your 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Add your zucchini slices on top of the pasta sauce. They can overlap or you can place them side-by-side.
- Top the zucchini with 1/2 of the bolognese sauce, and evenly spread 1/2 the ricotta mix on top of that.
- Add 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella on top of the ricotta, along with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and basil.
- Repeat these layers one more time.
- Top the lasagna with a final layer of zucchini slices, a sprinkle of chopped parsley and basil, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Place the lasagna in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes. Broil for a couple of minutes to get a nice golden top.
- Garnish with whole basil leaves and serve.