Warm Lentil & Kale Winter Salad – Vegan
Original Recipe: Nutriciously.com
- 1 cup dry bulgur (140 g)
- 1 cup green lentils (200 g), cooked
- 3 cups red cabbage (200 g), shredded
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups kale (40 g), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup parsley (14 g), roughly chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (85 g)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tahini (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook bulgur according to package directions. Once the bulgur is done, stir in the cooked green lentils and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and keep warm.
- In the meantime, toss the red cabbage with mustard, soy sauce, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to your prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer, then roast for 10-15 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- While the cabbage is in the oven, add the sliced kale to a large salad bowl and top with lemon juice and salt. Gently massage the kale until it starts to wilt slightly.
- Add in the carrots, red onion, and parsley to the kale in the bowl, then toss to combine.
- Once the bulgur and cabbage are done, transfer them to the bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Top your warm lentil and kale winter salad with pomegranate seeds and hemp seeds. Drizzle with runny tahini if you like, then serve immediately and enjoy warm!
- This warm lentil kale salad works with lots of different dressings; you can enjoy it as written in the recipe or add any vinaigrette, tahini, etc.
- If you have any pre-cooked grains, just use them instead of the dry bulgur.
- To save some time, you can skip the roasting of the cabbage and just add it uncooked.
- Feel free to bump up the calorie and fat content by adding olive oil to the cabbage or kale and top the salad with pecans or walnuts!
- Nutrition information has automatically been calculated without any tahini.