Vegetarian Mushroom Chili
Original recipe: health.com
- 1 ounce mixed dried mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh mixed wild mushrooms or 8 oz. each cremini and shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium poblano chiles, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1?¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (28-oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-oz.) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 ounces bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Greek yogurt, shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions, thinly sliced red onion, lime wedges, and/or cilantro for topping (optional)
- Place dried mushrooms in a food processor and process until mostly ground (some small chunks may remain), 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Without wiping bowl of processor clean, pulse fresh mushrooms in 2 batches, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed, until roughly chopped. Transfer fresh mushrooms to a separate bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high. Add chopped fresh mushrooms in an even layer; cook, undisturbed, until starting to brown on bottoms, about 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add onion and poblanos and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is fragrant and spices have toasted for about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, beans, ground dried mushrooms, and stock; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium. Add chocolate and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often until chocolate has melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls, and add desired toppings.
Freeze It! Omit the toppings; when ready to serve, prep toppings as the soup reheats.