Curated recipes for type 1 and type 2 diabetes – complete with nutritional values.
Vegetable Bake with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan Recipe
Original recipe: Yummly.com, Sara Mellas
• 1 small eggplant
• 1 zucchini (large)
• 1 summer squash (large, long neck)
• 1 large tomato
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (freshly)
• 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 3/8 tsp. dried thyme)
- Slice the eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash 1/8 inch thick and place in a large colander. Sprinkle a very generous amount of salt over the slices, and toss to coat. Place the colander over the sink and allow the vegetables to sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- After 30 minutes, thoroughly rinse the eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash slices with cool water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice the tomato 1/4-inch thick. Mince the garlic clove.
- Arrange the eggplant slices around the outer edge of the pie plate, so that they are propped at a 45° angle. Lay the tomato slices over the eggplant, creating concentric circles. Alternate slices of zucchini with slices of summer squash over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic over the vegetables, followed by the thyme, grated Parmesan, and sharp cheddar.
- Pro tip: Add a little extra pinch of your favorite herbs for a boost of flavor! Oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes on the middle rack of oven, until the vegetables are tender and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Check to see that the vegetables are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the vegetables to cool for 5-10 minutes. Plate and serve.