Curated Recipes with Nutritional Values for Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes
Shaved Asparagus Salad w/Shallots & Fried Eggs
Original recipe: buzzfeed.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 bunch green asparagus (about 8 medium stalks)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 ounce feta, crumbled
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs for women; 3 large eggs for men
- Trim an inch off the root end of the asparagus to get rid of the woody part. Using a vegetable peeler and starting from the root end, shave the asparagus into thin ribbons (6-8 large stalks should yield about a cup).
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the thinly sliced shallot. Cook for 1 minute, until shallot has softened slightly. Add asparagus ribbons, season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and cook for 2 minutes, tossing occasionally, until asparagus is cooked al dente (should be crunchy, not soft). Transfer asparagus mixture to a medium mixing bowl, add arugula, chopped tomato, feta, lemon juice, and parsley, and toss.
- In the same nonstick skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan, season with freshly ground pepper, and turn the heat to low. Cook the egg 2-3 minutes, until the white is completely opaque and set and the edges are starting to brown.
- Transfer the asparagus salad to a bowl and top with the fried eggs.
Leave A Comment