Curated recipes for type 1 and type 2 diabetes – complete with nutritional values.
Raw Hemp Seed Brownies
Original Recipe: Running on Real Food
- 2 cups (350 g) soft pitted dates
- 1 cup (140 g) hemp hearts (hemp seeds)
- 1 cup (110 g) raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup (35 g) raw cacao powder (can substitute regular cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional, for flavor enhancement)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix until it forms a dough.
- Press the dough into a square baking pan lined with parchment, wax paper or saran wrap.
- Place in the freezer for a couple of hours to firm.
- Lift out of the pan and cut into 16 squares.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
- You can make these with regular processed cocoa powder or cacao powder. I recommend using cacao for its nutritional benefits but if you prefer, you can definitely use regular cocoa powder.
- For best results, use a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients.
- Use parchment paper, wax paper or saran wrap to line your baking dish so you can easily lift these out to cut into squares.
- These can be cut into 16 squares coming in at 160 calories each, or you can make 8 large energy bars of 328 calories each.
- These will keep in the freezer for months or the fridge for a week or so. They can be enjoyed straight from the freezer as they will not freeze solid.
Leave A Comment