Curated Recipes with Nutritional Values for Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes
Quick Chicken Piccata with Parsley Orzo
- 1 cup uncooked whole-wheat orzo
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 (4-oz.) chicken breast cutlets
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 8 thin lemon slices, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Spread orzo on a baking sheet; cool 10 minutes. Place orzo in a bowl; add 1 tablespoon juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring to combine.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Place chicken on a platter (do not wipe out pan).
- Add shallot and garlic to pan; cook2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons juice and lemon slices, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to low; add capers and butter, stirring until butter melts. Spoon lemon mixture over chicken. Serve with orzo.
Leave A Comment