Recipes for type 1 and type 2 diabetes with nutritional information.
Pull-Apart Keto Bread Rolls Recipe
Original Recipe from sugarfreelondoner.com
- 2 cups almond flour or ground almonds
- 3 tbsp whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp inulin
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, large room temperature
- 2 egg whites room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- scant 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- Proof the yeast! Put the yeast and inulin into a bowl and add the warm water (105 Fahrenheit). If you don’t have a thermometer, the water should be warm to the touch. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave in a warm place for 5-10 minutes until it starts to froth and thicken.
- In the meantime, combine the dry ingredients – almond flour, protein powder, psyllium husk powder, baking powder – in another bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or a food processor, whisk the room temperature eggs and egg whites, melted (warm, not hot!!) butter and the activated yeast mixture until well combined.
- Add the yoghurt and the first half of the dry ingredients mixture. Blend until combined, then add the second half of the flour mix. The dough will thicken quickly as the psyllium and the almond flour absorb the moisture.
- Line a pie dish or a casserole dish with parchment paper. Lightly wet your hands and form eight dough balls. Make sure you leave some space around the rolls as they will significantly increase in size.
- Cover the dish with lightly oiled cling film and a kitchen towel and return to a warm space for around 50 to 60 minutes until the rolls have substantially expanded – see the images in the post. I like to place my tray on top of the radiator.
- Towards the end of the rising time, pre-heat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until the rolls are starting to brown. Then cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue to bake for another 7-10 minutes.
Do not take shortcuts with the temperature of the ingredients! Yeast can die if the environment is either too hot or too cold. So make sure your water is WARM, your eggs are ROOM TEMPERATURE and the melted butter is WARM and NOT scalding hot.
To make sure the yeast is activated, we’re proofing it. Don’t miss this step. It should bubble, froth and thicken. If it does not, start over with a fresh batch of yeast. You don’t want to end up with tiny, hard rolls.
If you are baking at high altitude, increase the oven temperature to 375 Fahrenheit.
Total Fat 20.1g
Total Carbohydrates 7.1g
Dietary Fiber 4.5g
Total Carbohydrates 6.5g
Dietary Fiber 5.2g
Leave A Comment