Paleo/Keto Candied Pecans Recipe With Nutritional Info
recipe by: Paola van der Hulst
- 3 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cups pecans
- 5-8 tablespoons Lakanto’s golden Monkfruit, (or coconut sugar) to taste
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses optional*
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg white
- Sea salt to taste
- Lightly toast sesame seeds over medium/low heat for 4 to 6 minutes. Watch out they do not burn, or they’ll taste bitter! You know they’re ready when they’re lightly golden, and you press one between your fingertips and it turns to powder. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a rimmed baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add sesame seeds, sweetener and molasses (optional) to a food processor and pulse a couple times until roughly powdered and mixed thoroughly.
- Mix sesame sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Toss pecans onto the sesame and cinnamon sugar and fold in the egg white.
- Spread pecans onto prepared baking tray in a single layer and sprinkle generously with flakey sea salt. Bake for 35-45 minutes, checking every 15 minutes or so and tossing them about a bit. Allow to cool completely, as they’ll continue to crisp up while cooling. Please note that alternative sweeteners can take a few hours to crisp up and if you substitute xylitol it can take up to a day.
- Store in an airtight container for a couple weeks.