Curated Recipes with Nutritional Values for Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes
Mushroom and Cauliflower Vegan Shepherds Pie
Original Recipe: Delicious Every Day
- 650 g cauliflower (1 ½ pounds)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 medium-sized carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 10 g dried wild mushrooms reconstituted in 2 ½ tbs boiling water (? oz)
- 500 g mushrooms diced (1 pound)
- 1 tbs thyme leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Chop the cauliflower into roughly equal-sized pieces and add to a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and cook the cauliflower until tender. Drain.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until slightly golden and caramelized. Add the mushrooms in 6 parts, making sure each batch is cooked before adding the next.
- Remove the wild mushrooms from the boiling water, reserving the water, and roughly chop. Add to the mushrooms along with the tomato paste. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the red wine. Cook until the red wine has almost evaporated before adding the mushroom soaking liquid and vegetable stock.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until roughly half of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor or high-powered blender along with 2 tbs olive oil, nutritional yeast, mustard, salt, and thyme leaves. Blend until smooth and taste. Adjust seasonings as required and add the nutmeg and blend for a further minute.
- Divide the mushrooms between 4 large ramekins and top with the cauliflower mash. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Nutritional Yeast (sometimes called savory yeast flakes) is available in health food stores. Make sure you purchase nutritional yeast and NOT brewers yeast as they are very different things. You can also purchase nutritional yeast online from amazon.
Leave A Comment