Jenny of Integrated Diabetes Services shares a recipe for the whole family!
I have to say I’d love to have come up with this recipe on my own. It is yummmmmy!! Great substitute for real English muffins without the BG fiasco after! I have made it savory with Trader Joe’s “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning as well as sweet by adding vanilla extract, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. I put an egg/spinach and goat cheese in the middle, Nut butter or even some coconut oil or cinnamon with stevia. It has been fantastic in all ways. My bolus strategy for a savory muffin without carb-y additions is to use a dual wave bolus – 30/70 over 2 hours.
I hope you enjoy as well.
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Milk of Choice: unsweetened Coconut Milk or Almond Milk or organic half and half.
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. Melted Butter or Coconut Oil
- 1/8 Tsp Baking Soda mixed with 1/4 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ** in separate pinch bowl mix these together, or you can use 1/2 tsp baking powder, this replaces baking soda & vinegar
- 1/8 Tsp GF Vanilla Extract
- ** Optional I omit if I’m making something savory like an egg sandwich.
- 1/4 Tsp Honey or 6 drops liquid Stevia for low carb *optional for sweet option
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- Melt the butter or oil in a round, glass or ceramic ramekin (I used a 3 1/2 inch, 6 ounce Pyrex dish).
- In a separate pinch bowl, mix baking soda and apple cider vinegar together (it will be very fizzy and bubbly) Set aside.
- Add all the rest of ingredients to the dish with butter/oil, and whisk or stir with a fork very briskly.
- Add the baking Soda- cider vinegar mixture to the ramekin, and stir in well.
- Stir, scraping sides, until clump free, may have to stab at some stubborn clumps.
- Cook in Microwave for 1 minute and 30 Seconds, or can Bake in the oven at 400 F for 12 to 15 minutes, until middle is firm.
- Take a knife between the bowl and muffin and slide around to loosen edges.
- Cool enough to handle, then remove from bowl, and cut in half sideways.
- Toast in a buttered or oiled frying pan, until lightly browned on each side (like a pancake) this is an important step, do not skip.
- Use a spatula to press the tops of muffins lightly down while pan toasting.
Best when toasted in buttered or oiled fry pan. A toaster oven might be okay, but not a regular toaster. These are great with butter and honey, almond butter or sunflower seed butter, and egg muffin sandwich, or even a mini pizza.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 108
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 5g
Dietary Fiber 2.5g