Curated Recipes with Nutritional Values for Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes
Low Carb Gingerbread Men
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Swerve Brown (or 1 cup granular)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or butter) melted
- 2 tsp Yacon syrup or molasses (optional, for color and flavor)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp egg white powder
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature (more to thin out as necessary)
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 275F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and cloves.
- Stir in eggs, coconut oil, Yacon syrup (if using) and vanilla extract until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and turn out first half onto a large piece of parchment paper. Top with another piece of parchment and roll out out about ¼ inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes and gently loosen and lift with an offset spatula. Place onto prepared baking sheets.
- Gather up scraps and reroll until too little is left to roll out. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 5 minutes on pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the royal icing, in a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sweetener and egg white powder. Add water and stir until smooth. Add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pipe icing onto cooled cookies and let set 30 minutes or longer.
*For crisper cookies, bake at 225F for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. They will crisp up as they cool.
*Makes about 50 cookies when cookie cutters are about 3 inches tall.
Leave A Comment