Lazy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Original recipe: NatashasKitchen.com
For the Lazy Cabbage Rolls:
- 4 cups cooked white rice cooled to room temp (180carb, 16g protein, 3g fiber)
(for lower carb – use riced cauliflower, well drained) (20gcarb, 8g fiber, 8g protein)
- 1/2 medium cabbage sliced into 1/4″ wide strips (7 cups sliced) (57g crb, 20g fiber, 13g protein)
- 1 pound ground pork( (96g protein, 18g fat)
- 1 pound ground turkey (112g protein, 80g fat)
- 1 large onion divided (1/2 grated and 1/2 finely diced) (20g carb, 3g protein 3g fiber)
- 2 large eggs (12g protein, 8g fat)
- Original Mrs. Dash or any salt-free all-purpose seasoning (Love Trader Joe’s 21 Season Salute!)
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley or dill
For the Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil (10g fat)
- 3 Tbsp butter (30g fat)
- 1 large carrot julienned or grated (12g carb, 4g fiber, 1g protein)
- 2 cups store-bought marinara or homemade (40g carb, 10g fiber, 7g protein, 3g fat)
- 3 cups hot water
Prep: Oil a 9×13 casserole dish, preheat oven to 425?F.
- Slice cabbage into 1/4″ thin slices. Place in a heat proof bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit 10 min to soften. Drain and squeeze out excess water with your hands.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, ground pork, drained cabbage and 4 cups cooked rice.
- Grate 1/2 large onion into meat mixture. Add 2 eggs, 1 tsp Mrs Dash, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt, and 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Form into potato-shaped patties with your hands (each should be about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture).
- Arrange in oiled casserole.
For the sauce:
- Finely dice remaining 1/2 large onion.
- Heat a large pot over medium/high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil and 3 Tbsp butter. Add diced onion and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or until softened.
- Add julienned carrot and cook another 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add 2 cups marinara and 3 cups hot water and bring to a boil. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash, or season to taste.
- Pour sauce over patties until they are nearly covered. Cover with foil
and bake on medium rack at 425?F for 40 min.
- 6) To serve, plate the lazy stuffed cabbage and spoon the extra juice over the top. 7)Serve with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.