Keto Apple Pie
Original recipe: thebigmansworld.com
This keto apple pie offers a low-carb and grain-free variation of the traditional dessert! There’s no need for apples or grains, yet you’d never be able to tell the difference!
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 9-inch keto pie crust
- 4 large chayote squash approximately 2 lbs, chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used erythritol)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple extract optional
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup almonds finely chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar-free brown sugar or erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Prepare a keto pie crust or use a store-bought pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped apples, butter, lemon juice, sweetener, flour, and cinnamon, and apple extract and mix well, until combined. In a separate bowl, mix your crumble topping together.
- Transfer the apple pie filling into the pie crust. Bake the pie for 20 minutes, before removing it from the oven. Top with the crumb topping and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes, before serving.
- TO STORE: Apple pie must always be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- TO FREEZE: Place leftovers in a sealable container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- REHEATING: Either microwave the pie for 30 seconds or heat it in the oven at 180C/350F for 5-6 minutes, until warm.