Original Recipe: Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Blue and yellow paste food coloring
In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and extract. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 2 hours
Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4 inch. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place cutouts 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set (do not brown), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.?For the icing, in a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, water, and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Divide icing into thirds. Tint 1 portion blue and 1 portion yellow; leave the remaining portion white.
- Pipe icing onto cookies as desired. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.) Let cookies stand at room temperature for several hours or until the frosting is dry and firm. Store in an airtight container.