Easy Vegan Cheese Ball
Original Recipe: thecheekychickpea.com
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1- 8 oz package vegan cream cheese (Miyokos is a good brand)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk, full fat
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped, green parts only (or use chives)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped small
- 1/4 cup dried. Unsweetened cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (if you want it tangier)
- for more herb flavor add 1/2 teaspoon each of dried dill, dried tarragon, dried thyme
- Add the cashews to a small pot, cover with water and boil for 10 minutes, drain and set aside to cool (couple minutes) then add to the food processor with the vegan cream cheese, coconut milk, garlic salt, pepper, granulated onion and granulated garlic. Process until smooth. Scraping down the sides a few times. This will take a few minutes. (You want it really smooth)
- Now add the cheese mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the chopped green onions.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over a small bowl or on your counter. With a spatula scoop out the cheese mixture onto the center of the plastic wrap. Gather up the corners of the plastic wrap and gently twist the top. So it roughly forms a ball (Don’t worry once it hardens you can shape it into a more uniform ball).
- Place the cheese ball in the bowl cover it with more plastic wrap and freeze for one hour or refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight to let the flavors develop even more.
- While the cheese ball is chilling mix the pecans, dried cranberries and parsley together and pour onto a plate or a shallow bowl.
- When you are ready to serve unwrap the cheese ball form into a better shape if necessary. (It won’t be super firm) Then roll in the chopped pecans and cranberry mix.
- Serve with a sliced baguette and/or crackers (Raincoast Crisps are delicious!) and veggies like carrots, celery and cucumbers. Enjoy!
- if you find the cheese mix is too wet to add to your plastic wrap, stick it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- prep time doesn’t include chill time