Sausage and Apple stuffed Acorn Squash
Find the original recipe at geniuskitchen.com
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1?4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1?4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 lb pork sausage (regular seasoning)
- ** (Also works well with Veggie sausage such as Field Roast or Tofurkey Italian sausage)
- 1?2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 apples, cored and chopped (macintosh)
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs (I omitted this and added 1/3 cup almond meal for gluten free and lower carb option)
- 1?2 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoons sage; brush over cut sides and cavity of squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a large roasting pan, cut side up, at 400 degrees F for 1 hour, until squash is tender yet still holds its shape. (OR, for less time, prepare squash without the butter/sage added. Place in a microwave safe dish with 1/3 cup water in the bottom. Place Squash cut side down in the dish and microwave for 15-20 min until just tender, but holding shape in the shell. Then proceed with the rest of the directions as noted)
- Meanwhile make stuffing: Fry pork sausage until light brown. Remove pork to a colander to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from frypan. Add onion, celery and mushroom; saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
- Combine the pork, vegetables, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- Taste and season with sage, salt or pepper if needed (depending on your sausage you may not want to add more seasoning).
- Stir in the egg and parsley.
- Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
- Return to oven and bake, covered, for 20 more minutes, until the egg is set.
- Garnish as desired with parsley and shredded romano cheese.