Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches
Find the original recipe at pickledplum.com
- 2 20-ounce can jackfruit in water (drained and patted dry)- not fresh
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I like the Trader Joes’s spicy one)
- 4-6 burger buns – or for lower carb use the recipe for Paleo English muffins from our Bites post.
- 2 cup coleslaw premix
- 1/3 cup vegenaise or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Put all the ingredients for the coleslaw in a bowl and toss. Set aside.
- Either cut the hard end of the jackfruit (the tough part that doesn’t shred) or press it until it flattens and becomes easy to pull apart. Shred the remaining part using your fingers.
- Add shredded jackfruit to a bowl and toss with paprika, chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add oil and jackfruit. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce along with 2 tablespoons water and stir. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes – stirring every 5 minutes to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Warm up burger buns and top with jackfruit and coleslaw. Add more barbecue sauce if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
- Use the nutrition facts on the label for your bun
- If you include the coleslaw for this recipe increase carb count by 5g for the 1/3 cup coleslaw