Chicken Avocado Lime Soup Recipe
Original recipe: adapted slightly from Mama Miss Copyright 2019 Cooking Classy
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (including whites, mince the whites)
- 2 jalapeños , seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want soup spicy, omit if you don’t like heat)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados , peeled, cored and diced (54g carb, 90g fat)
- Tortilla chips , monterrey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions and jalapeños and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sautéing.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, season with salt and pepper to taste and add chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through 10 – 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat, remove chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Add avocados to soup just before serving (if you don’t plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about 1/2 an avocado per serving). Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream if desired.
- *For thicker chicken breasts, cut breasts in half through the length (thickness) of the breasts, they will cook faster and more evenly.
Nutrition facts (not including tortilla chips, cheese or sour cream):
Calories: 369 per serving