Cheesy Portobello Chicken Cutlets with Broccoli
Original Recipe: eatingwell.com
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into 2- to 3-inch spears
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 large portobello mushroom cap, stem and gills removed, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces sliced Gruyère cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large broiler-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook, flipping once, until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 teaspoons oil and broccoli to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add water, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, onion and mushroom to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, thyme, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper and any accumulated chicken juices from the plate. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, position the rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat the broiler to high.
- Return the chicken to the pan and spoon the mushroom mixture on top. Arrange the broccoli around the chicken. Top with cheese. Broil until the cheese is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve topped with parsley and/or more thyme, if desired.
Leave A Comment