Cabbage Patch Stew
Original Recipe: Diabetes Self Management magazine – Spring 2023
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. bacon bits
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3 cans (14.5oz each) chicken broth
- ½ medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ c finely chopped celery
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ c frozen green peas
- ½ c reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon pieces, garlic, onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender (3-4 minutes). Add a few drops of water if the mixture begins to stick.
- Stir in flour, add chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley, salt, and pepper flakes. Return to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low-medium, and simmer for 20 min.
- Stir in frozen peas and sour cream, heat through, and serve right away.