Browned Butter Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
Original Recipe: cookinglight.com
Alternative low carb/keto Carrot cake recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 11 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 2 cups finely shredded peeled carrots
- Baking spray with flour
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium; continue cooking until butter is browned and very fragrant, about 4 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Place browned butter, granulated sugar, oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with 3/4 cup evaporated milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in carrots. Coat a (10-cup) Bundt pan with baking spray; spoon batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake to wire rack; cool completely.
- Place cream cheese in a medium bowl. Add powdered sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons evaporated milk, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Spoon glaze over cooled cake. Sprinkle with pecans.