Brown Butter Butternut Squash Pasta
Original recipe: Delish
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeds removed
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. sausage, casings removed
- 1/4c. (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped sage
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- 1/4 c. shaved Parmesan
- 3 cups spiraled zucchini or other squash
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut squash into 1/2 “ cubes.
- In a large bowl toss squash, red onion, and 2 tablespoons oil together.
- Divide between two large baking sheets and season with salt and pepper. Roast until fork tender and golden, 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook zucchini pasta. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add sausage and cook, breaking meat up finely with a wooden spoon, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and place on a plate to keep warm.
- Return skillet to heat and add butter. Cook butter until foamy, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir until butter starts to smell nutty and turns a deep golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then remove pan from heat.
- Add bucatini, sausage, squash, and ¼ cup reserved pasta water to skillet and toss to combine. Add more pasta water to help sauce come together as necessary.
- Toss with zucchini noodles.
- Top with shaved Parmesan before serving.