Original Recipe: Diabetes Self Management
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 jumbo sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- Mixed baby greens (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Whisk basil, lime juice, soy sauce, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a shallow bowl until smooth and well blended. Add scallops; turn to coat evenly. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.* Cook scallops 3 minutes per side, or until the desired doneness is reached.
- Place 2 scallops on each serving plate. Serve with mixed greens, if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
There are two types of scallops available: sea scallops and bay scallops. Sea scallops are more widely available, although they’re less tender. Bay scallops are smaller, slightly sweeter, and more expensive.