Curated recipes for type 1 and type 2 diabetes – complete with nutritional values.
Baked Ziti and Summer Vegetables Recipe
Original recipe: Cooking Light
- 4 ounces uncooked ziti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add squash, zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.