Ania’s Mushroom Soup
Original Recipe: eatingwell.com
- ½ cup dried mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1?½ cups sliced cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 1?½ cups sliced button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (low carb or gluten free work just as well)
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian bouillon mixed with 6 cups water
- 1 cup white cooking wine or cooking Sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper plus more to taste
- 8 ounces small dried pasta, such as orzo, or 2 cups cooked barley (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup warm water for 1 hour. Drain, reserving the water.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cremini, button and the reconstituted mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Add bouillon mixture, wine and the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat. Add Worcestershire, bay leaf, thyme and pepper. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta (if using) according to package directions. Drain.
- Before serving, stir cream into the soup and season with more pepper to taste. Serve over the pasta (or barley).