Air Fryer Beets
Original recipe: thefoodblog.com
- 1 pound beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel beets before cutting them into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl toss the beet pieces with the oil, salt, and pepper to coat
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°
- Add beets to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for twenty minutes, shaking halfway through, or until fork tender.
To peel beets first give them a scrub under running water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the stem and root ends off and discard. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler.
Cut the beets so that the pieces are all about the same size so that the pieces will cook evenly. If you cut them larger than the suggested 1-inch cubes, the beets will need a longer cooking time.
Wash your hands and cutting board immediately to avoid beet juice stains. If you still have staining on your hands, use lemon juice to remove it. You can wear gloves if you prefer, but I find that moving quickly to wash your hands usually works.
Air fryer beets can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If your raw beets have greens still attached, don’t throw them away. The beet greens are delicious, similar to Swiss chard. Try them quickly pan-fried like this: Sautéed Beet Greens.
For oven-roasted beets, spread the oiled and seasoned beets on a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes at 400°, or until they are fork tender. Turn halfway through.